How can family mediation help me?
Family mediation helps families in conflict understand and communicate with each other better so they can make practical plans for the future. Our trained mediators understand the complexity of family life, separation, divorce and family restructuring. They won’t take sides, make judgements or give guidance. They work with families in conflict to help them communicate more effectively with one another and consider options that will help them work through their differences.
Mediation can help minimise conflict, improve family life and help avoid long, painful and expensive legal battles. If you do go to court, even at that stage the sheriff might encourage you to attend a mediation service.
Can we help you?
Family breakdown is distressing. It can be hard to keep communication channels open with family members when you’re in crisis. We are here to help you make your own decisions about the future when you most need support and understanding.
If you are experiencing any of the following situations, your local mediation service could help you and your family:
- My partner and I have just separated. We’ve tried talking about arrangements for the children, but we just get angry and one of us storms out.
- Since I moved out, my partner hasn’t let me see my children. I miss them so much.
- I’m a grandparent. Since my son’s/daughter’s breakup, I haven’t been able to see my grandchildren.
- I don’t want to go to court if I can help it. Can mediation help us avoid it?
- We separated a while ago, but our arrangements have broken down. We need help to sort them out again.
- My ex was the main breadwinner. What will happen to the kids and me if the money stops?
- My ex and I both have new relationships now. We need to make new plans for our children.
- Since Mum and Dad broke up, they don’t listen to me any more. I feel like running away.